WELCOME TO BEST CASE LIST 2017. To kick off our year, we made a tribute to the cold of this bleak midwinter.
A character in a Dostoevsky novel was once so poor that he started believing that one sleeps more soundly in the cold. That sounds like a made up way to cope with your circumstances, so we’ll leave that belief in the world of fiction. Our mantra can probably be better encapsulated by Moby’s lyric: “When It’s Cold I’d Like to Die.”
Taking Moby’s lyric literally might be a little melodramatic (or maybe not—poor circulation is a REAL condition with REAL victims; read: “walk the frozen food aisle at Kroger in the winter and then try to use your tv remote”), but there is a feeling in winter that does seem to make everything a little more melancholy. Something that piques your sense of isolation. The cold seems to blanket your surroundings with a certain all-pervasive quiet that makes you feel like you’re alone in a cloud.
Here’s your soundtrack while you’re lost in that bleak wintery cloud. Get into it (but not tooooo into it)!
- Daydreaming - Radiohead
- Song to the Siren - This Mortal Coil
- Stella was a diver and she was always down - Interpol
- Carissa - Sun Kil Moon
- Cocoon - Björk
- Sometimes - My Bloody Valentine
- 10:37 - Beach House
- When It’s Cold I’d Like to Die - Moby
- Northern Sky - Nick Drake
- Avril 14th - Aphex Twin
- Smoking at Midnight - Tomppabeats
- Abraham - Sufjan Stevens
- The Same Deep Water as You - The Cure
- Bankrupt on Selling - Modest Mouse
- The Wolves (Act I and II) - Bon Iver